This week we talk to Australian animator Bernard Derriman, current supervising director of Bob's Burgers. Bernard has been working in animation since the early 90's after starting out as a inbetweener for Disney Australia. He worked on many Disney projects including Bambi 2, Cinderella 2 and Timon & Pumbaa, before moving over to the US to work on shows like Neighbours from Hell, and Hulu original series The Awesomes. We chat to him about the wonderful world of animation and what it's like working for some of the biggest studios in the world.
Stay tuned for next weeks episode where we're joined by Richard Pleasance, who has been working as a composer in film and TV for more than 20 years.
Points of Discussion:
- Process of making Bob's Burgers.
- Hitting the milestone of 100 episodes.
- Directing episodes with the crew split up in different cities.
- His role of Supervising Director and working with other directors under him.
- Advice to young animators starting out.
- The shift in animation from handmade to digital workflow.
- Working with writers and creators for TV animation.
- Making the move from Australia to Hollywood, and getting an agent.
- 2D vs 3D animation.
- Bob's Burgers
- Tism - EEHHMSTM
- Chopper (Tropfest Short)
- Bambi 2
- Cinderella II
- The Fox and the Hound
- Arj & Poopy
- The SpongeBob Movie: Sponge Out of Water
- Neighbours from Hell
- Beavis and Butt-head
- Kenny's World
- The Illusion of Life
- Google SketchUp